Carne Guisada (Mexican Beef Stew)
I had to learn how to make it myself because since I left Texas I have not been able to find this at any Mexican restaurant, in Ohio that is. Not sure why, because if I owned a Mexican restaurant it would be on the menu EVERY day!!
It is incredible and anyone that tries it falls in love with it too. Now, you can adjust this to your spicy heat level by omitting some of the peppers but they do add to the unique flavor of this stew.
I just made this last night and let it cook in the crockpot on low for 10 hours. When we woke in the morning the aroma of this stew was drifting through the entire house! Oh my......I couldn't wait and had a Carne Guisada taco for breakfast. LOL
This can also be eaten over some rice or even noodles too. I always eat this in a flour tortilla with some Mexican cheese and a small dollup of sour cream.
- 4 lb
- beef stew meat
- 3 can(s)
- diced tomatoes
- 1 bottle
- negra modelo (mexican lager style beer) or guinness
- 2 can(s)
- green chilies, 4 oz. cans
- 3/4 c
- fire roasted jalapenos, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp
- ground coriander seed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- badia's complete seasoning
- 4 Tbsp
- adobo sauce
- 3 medium
- chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 medium
- green bell peppers, diced
- 3 Tbsp
- cilantro, dried
- 2 medium
- serrano chiles, seeds removed
- 1/4 c
- goya's sofrito, optional
- flour for thickening if necessary
- dozen flour tortillas
- fresh shredded blend of mexican cheeses
- fresh chopped cilantro
- sour cream
FOR CARNE GUISADA TACOS
How to Make Carne Guisada (Mexican Beef Stew)
- 3Next, saute your onions, garlic and bell peppers. Pour your bottle of beer over the meat in the crock pot and then add your sauteed vegetable. Next, add the rest of your ingredients. No need to cut up the chipotle or serranos as they break down while cooking. Cook this on low and slow for 8 to 10 hours.
Serve in warm flour tortillas with shredded cheese and a small dollop of sour cream if desired or a squeeze of lime and fresh cilantro.
(This is a thick stew, so if it's not thick enough add a mixture of flour and water.)
- 6SUPREME TACO:
Add your Carne Guisada on top of beans, maybe 4 pieces of meat and a generous amount of Mexican cheese blend. Next, add sour cream and some fresh chopped cilantro.
Now, if you are going to make this for a larger crowd make up the tacos yourself and wrap then in a square piece of tinfoil. You can get a nice big box of already cut square tinfoil at Sam's Club. When you wrap them up the cheese is going to melt and they are just wonderful.