2 lblean ground beef
1 crice, uncooked
1 smalldiced onion
1 mediumdiced green or red bell pepper
1 tsppaprikia (hungarian is best)
1 tspgarlic powder
1 tspblack pepper and salt (season to taste)
2 can(s)tomatoe sauce (15 ounce)
1 can(s)sauerkraut (large)
1 csweet bbq sauce (ketchup w/ 1 tbl brown sugar can be substituted
1 qtv8 juice or tomato juice
How to Make Cabbage Rolls (Polish Style)
- PREPARE THE CABBAGE LEAVES:
- Core cabbage (cut out the central hard core) Place in large pot of boiling water for 8-10 minutes.
- Several layers of the outer leaves should be soft
enough to remove from the head.
- When you've removed as many as you can, return the head to the steamer to soften more leaves until finished.
- Take a sharp knife and remove as much of the central vein as you can.
- FILLING: Mix all the other ingredients together in a bowl. Except V8 juice, sauerkraut and tomato sauce (Save for layering with cabbage rolls
- Work it with your hands ingredients are thoroughly mixed into the meat.
- Now, take some of the mixture and set it in the hollow of a leaf, with the end that was near the core towards you.
- Fold the end nearest you about 1/2 way over the mix.
- Fold the left side over the mix and then the right side.
- Roll about 1/2 turn away from you so that the seam is on the bottom.
Use toothpicks if necessary (But remove before serving)
- Place in a deep electric skillet or dutch oven seam side down and layer with sauerkraut, tomato sauce, then cabbage rolls, then sauerkraut , tomato sauce.
- When finished layering pour in the V8 to top of layers.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour, preferably longer. Add more V8 if needed during cooking.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and corn or carrots and use sauce as gravy