Cabbage Roll Casserole
Basically, it is a lazy version of stuffed cabbage rolls, known as Galomki!
NOTE: This can also be made in a crockpot. Using a crockpot will change the amount of cooking time.
- 1 small
- to med head of cabbage
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- 2 clove
- garlic, diced
- 1 medium
- onion finely chopped
- 1/3 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- 56 oz
- canned whole tomatoes, chopped (2-28 oz cans)
- 1 lb
- sauerkraut, jar or bag
How to Make Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1Chop cabbage into bite sized pieces, discard the core.
- 2Place 1/2 cabbage in bottom of large deep casserole or crockpot.
- 3Brown the meat, add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- 4Add the rice and one can of the chopped tomatoes, including the juice.
- 5Mix together well and pour over the chopped cabbage.
- 6Spread the sauerkraut on top, including the juice.(I actually use about half this amount)
- 7Cover with remaining cabbage and top with the second can of tomatoes with juice.
- 8Bake uncovered in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- 9Cover and continue baking for another hour or until rice is tender.
- 10NOTE: If you are using a crockpot, set it for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.