Cabbage Roll Casserole
Basically, it is a lazy version of stuffed cabbage rolls, known as Galomki!
NOTE: This can also be made in a crockpot. Using a crockpot will change the amount of cooking time.
1 smallto med head of cabbage
1 1/2 lbground beef
2 clovegarlic, diced
1 mediumonion finely chopped
1/3 clong grain rice, uncooked
56 ozcanned whole tomatoes, chopped (2-28 oz cans)
1 lbsauerkraut, jar or bag
How to Make Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Chop cabbage into bite sized pieces, discard the core.
- Place 1/2 cabbage in bottom of large deep casserole or crockpot.
- Brown the meat, add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and one can of the chopped tomatoes, including the juice.
- Mix together well and pour over the chopped cabbage.
- Spread the sauerkraut on top, including the juice.(I actually use about half this amount)
- Cover with remaining cabbage and top with the second can of tomatoes with juice.
- Bake uncovered in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- Cover and continue baking for another hour or until rice is tender.
- NOTE: If you are using a crockpot, set it for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.