Braised Sunday Pot Roast1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 Tbspunsalted butter
1.5 cchopped onion
1 cchopped carrot
1/4 cvegetable oil
5 lbbeef roast
2garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Braised Sunday Pot Roast
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a casserole large enough to hold the meat (covered with a layer of fat and tied), heat the butter.
- When foaming subsides add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes or until they take on some color.
- With a slotted spoon remove them and reserve for later.
- Add the oil to the casserole and heat over high heat.
- Add the beef and brown the meat on all sides; this should take 15 minutes to get a deep
- Return the vegetables to the casserole, stuffing them underneath the meat.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, bouquet garni.
- Heat the casserole until you hear it sizzle, drape the meat loosely with aluminum foil, cover the casserole tightly and place it in the lower third of the oven.
- Cook for 1 hour, turn the meat over, lower the heat to 325 and continue to cook until the beef is tender, another 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove the meat to a platter.
- Strain cooking juices into a saucepan, pressing down hard on the vegetables to extract their liquid.
- Let liquid settle for a minute, then skim off surface fat.
- Heat the liquid and reduce slightly; adjust
- Slice the roast and spoon the gravy over the top.
- Serve with braised carrots and boiled parsleyed potatoes (make extra for cold potato salad and beef salad next day).
- Yield: 8 servings