Braised Sunday Pot Roast1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1.5 c
- chopped onion
- 1 c
- chopped carrot
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 5 lb
- beef roast
- garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- tomatoes, chopped
- bouquet garni
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Braised Sunday Pot Roast
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a casserole large enough to hold the meat (covered with a layer of fat and tied), heat the butter.
- 3When foaming subsides add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes or until they take on some color.
- 4With a slotted spoon remove them and reserve for later.
- 5Add the oil to the casserole and heat over high heat.
- 6Add the beef and brown the meat on all sides; this should take 15 minutes to get a deep
- 7Return the vegetables to the casserole, stuffing them underneath the meat.
- 8Add the garlic, tomatoes, bouquet garni.
- 9Heat the casserole until you hear it sizzle, drape the meat loosely with aluminum foil, cover the casserole tightly and place it in the lower third of the oven.
- 10Cook for 1 hour, turn the meat over, lower the heat to 325 and continue to cook until the beef is tender, another 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 11Remove the meat to a platter.
- 12Strain cooking juices into a saucepan, pressing down hard on the vegetables to extract their liquid.
- 13Let liquid settle for a minute, then skim off surface fat.
- 14Heat the liquid and reduce slightly; adjust
- 15Slice the roast and spoon the gravy over the top.
- 16Serve with braised carrots and boiled parsleyed potatoes (make extra for cold potato salad and beef salad next day).
- 17Yield: 8 servings