Braised Beef And Onions
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 lb
- well-marbled boneless beef chuck pot roasts (1-1/2 inches thick)
- 2 tsp
- ground allspice
- 1 1/2 lb
- onions, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced lengthwise (6 cups)
- 6 large
- garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
How to Make Braised Beef And Onions
- 1Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Pat meat dry. Stir together allspice, 2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper in a small bowl and rub all over meat.
- 3Spread half of onions and half of garlic in a 13 by 9-inch roasting pan and arrange meat on top. Spread remaining onions and garlic over meat. Tightly cover pan with heavy-duty foil and roast, turning meat over after 1 hour, until meat is very tender, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours total.
- 4Skim fat from pan juices. Slice meat across the grain and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with onions and pan juices.