1 smallcauliflower, whole head
1 mediumonion, chopped fine
1/3 cbread crumbs
1/2 tspgarlic salt
1 dash(es)ground black pepper
1 lblean ground beef
1straight-sided souffle dish, glass or ceramic is best for cooking this dish.
How to Make Blooming Meatloaf
- Rinse cauliflower. Remove and discard leaves and lower part of core. Place stem end down in 1" of boiling salted water in a deep pan.
- Cover and steam for 5 minutes. Drain place in greased deep 1 1/2 qt. baking souffle dish.
- Cook onions in heated butter until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg in a medium bowl. Mix in catsup, bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. Then lightly mix in onion mixture and ground beef.
- Mold ground beef around mixture evenly around sides and top of cauliflower.
Bake uncovered at 350^ for 45-50 minutes or until meat is well browned and flower is tender when knife inserted to test.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then cut in wedges and serve.
- *This is the original recipe. You can make your favorite meatloaf mixture and wrap around the flower..I have even used broccoli too. Nice way to get the kids to eat the vegetable too..