- 1 small
- cauliflower, whole head
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 large
- 1/4 c
- 1/3 c
- bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic salt
- 1 dash(es)
- ground black pepper
- 1 lb
- lean ground beef
- straight-sided souffle dish, glass or ceramic is best for cooking this dish.
How to Make Blooming Meatloaf
- 1Rinse cauliflower. Remove and discard leaves and lower part of core. Place stem end down in 1" of boiling salted water in a deep pan.
- 2Cover and steam for 5 minutes. Drain place in greased deep 1 1/2 qt. baking souffle dish.
- 3Cook onions in heated butter until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- 4Beat egg in a medium bowl. Mix in catsup, bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. Then lightly mix in onion mixture and ground beef.
- 5Mold ground beef around mixture evenly around sides and top of cauliflower.
Bake uncovered at 350^ for 45-50 minutes or until meat is well browned and flower is tender when knife inserted to test.
- 6Let stand 5 minutes, then cut in wedges and serve.
- 7*This is the original recipe. You can make your favorite meatloaf mixture and wrap around the flower..I have even used broccoli too. Nice way to get the kids to eat the vegetable too..