Bistro-Style Beef Steak Hoagie
Photo taken by my dear friend, lazyme. (Thanks, Vicky!)
- 1 lb.
- beef round tip steak, 1/8-1/4" thick, pounded if necessary
- 1 Tbl.
- olive oil
- garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Tbl.
- low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp.
- coarse ground pepper, more to taste
- medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tsp.
- olive oil
- 1 1/2
- cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup
- jarred roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup
- dry red wine
- slices fresh mozzarella cheese, can also use muenster, swiss, fontina, gouda, provolone or monterey jack
- (6" long) hoagie rolls, or can use any italian-style crusty rolls
How to Make Bistro-Style Beef Steak Hoagie
- 1Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1" strips. Heat 1 Tbl. olive oil in non-stick skillet over med-high heat til hot. Stir-fry beef strips and garlic (1/2 batch at a time), 1-2 minutes or til outside surface is no longer pink.
Remove from skillet and season with 2 Tbl. soy sauce and pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan (if needed), and stir-fry onion 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking 2-3 minutes or til veggies are tender. Add red pepper, wine and remaining 1 Tbl. soy sauce, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and return beef to skillet.
Heat through. Pile beef mixture onto bottoms of rolls. Top each with 2 slices cheese. Place on cookie sheet with tops next to bottoms cut side up, and broil just til cheese is melted and inside tops are lightly toasted. Serve with the rest of that wine! ;)