Belgian Beef Stew1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 lbstew beef, cubed
5 Tbspvegetable oil
2 largeonions, thinly sliced
2garlic cloves, minced
·"just a pinch" of salt
·"just a pinch" of pepper
2 lbsauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
2 Tbspdark brown sugar
1 tspcelery seed
3/4 cgreen olives, pitted and sliced
1 ccream, (optional)
1/2 cparsley, minced
How to Make Belgian Beef Stew
- preheat oven to 325.
- Dredge the meat in flour.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a dutch oven.
- Add only enough meat to cover the bottom of the pan without crowding and brown on all sides, scraping and turning the cubes so that they don't burn.
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon to a bowl, and continue until all the meat is browned, adding fresh oil as needed.
- If the oil has burned or more oil is needed, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot.
- When it is hot, add the onions and cook for 6 to 7 minutes more, stirring frequently until they are light brown and soft.
- Stir in the garlic.
- Add the meat, salt, pepper, beer, sauerkraut, marjoram, brown sugar, celery seed, bay leaf and olives and stir to mix well.
- Cover and transfer the casserole to the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- After the meat is tender, remove the bay leaf, skim off any excess fat and stir in the cream, if desired.
- Add the parsley.