Beef Stew with Cranberries1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
2 Tbspsafflower oil
2 Tbspunsalted butter
2 lbstew beef, cubed
·pepper, freshly ground
2 largegarlic cloves
3/4 cdry red wine
3/4 cbeef broth or stock
2 Tbspred wine vinegar
1 Tbsptomato paste
1/2 cfresh cranberries
1/4 clight brown sugar - firmly packed
How to Make Beef Stew with Cranberries
- Heat 1 tablespoon each of oil and butter in 6 quart pot.
- When oil is hot, add half the beef and brown it well on all sides; remove and reserve.
- Heat remaining oil and butter and brown remaining meat.
- Remove pot from heat, remove meat and discard fat.
- Return meat to pot and toss with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In food processor with metal blade on, drop garlic through feed tube and process until minced; add to pot.
- With medium shredding disk: Use firm pressure to shred onions and use slotted spoon to lift onions from their juice and add to pot.
- Discard juice.
- Add wine, stock or broth, vinegar, tomato paste and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt to pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until meat is tender--about 2 hours.
- With metal blade: Pulse to chop cranberries coarsely with brown sugar and flour.
- Add cranberries to pot, stir well and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Can be served immediately, but best if made up to 4 days in advance, refrigerated and gently reheated.
- Adjust seasoning. (Can also be frozen up to 3 months)