By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 lbground beef
4cloves minced fresh garlic
1/2 lbfresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tspchili powder
8 oztomato sauce
1/3 cburgundy wine
8 ozcream cheese softened
1 ccottage cheese, creamed
1/2 cfeta cheese crumbles
1/2 cunsalted butter, melted
8 ozphyllo sheets
1/4 cbread crumbs
How to Make Beef Pita
- Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a large frying-pan; cook, stirring frequently until beef loses pink color.
- Pour off drippings.
- Add mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, chili powder, cumin powder, and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and wine; cook, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Cool while preparing cheese filling.
- Combine egg and cream cheese in medium bowl, beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in cottage and feta cheeses and blend.
- Brush 13 x 9 inch baking pan with melted butter.
- Line pan with 1 sheet of pastry, fitting pastry to contour of pan. (Pastry will come up over edges of pan.)
- Brush pastry with butter.
- Layer with 3 more pastry sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top.
- Spoon 1/5 of meat filling in layer over crumbs and 1/5 of the cheese filling over meat.
- Place 1 pastry sheet over cheese filling, crinkling to fit inside dimensions of pan; brush with butter and layer with 1/5 of the meat and 1/5 to the cheese fillings.
- Repeat with 3 more pastry sheets, crinkling each, brushing with butter and topping with fillings.
- Turn bottom pastry ends up over filling.
- Place remaining 8 pastry sheets smoothly over top, brushing each with butter.
- Using spatula, tuck top pastry sheets around inside edges of pan.
- With sharp knife, score top lightly in half lengthwise and sixths crosswise. (Do not cut through.)
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting along scored lines.
- Place a cherry tomato on each of 12 small wooden picks and insert pick in center of each serving.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Garnish individual servings with fresh fruit kabobs, if desired.
- FRESH FRUIT KABOBS: To make fresh fruit kabobs, place chunks of fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, whole strawberries or other fruits in season on small wooden skewers.
- Servings: 12