Beef Medallions With Cognac Sauce
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Bon Appetit, February 1999.
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1/4 cshallots, chopped
1 tspbrown sugar, packed
1 cchicken broth
1/2 cbeef broth
1/4 cwhipping cream
2 5-ozbeef tenderloin steaks, 1-inch thick
How to Make Beef Medallions With Cognac Sauce
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; stir 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, beef broth and Cognac. Simmer until sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Add cream. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for rare. Transfer steaks to plates.
- Add sauce to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice steaks; fan slices on plates. Top with sauce and garnish with chives.