Beef & Guiness Pie
Upon coming back home to the states I tried numerous recipes before deciding just to do it myself.
I found an easy way to make it and it always gets rave reviews!
Serve with mashed potatoes and its a good hearty meal!
- 2 box
- frozen puff pastry
- 2 can(s)
- roast beef
- 1 small
- 2 1/2 c
- chopped baby carrots
- 1 can(s)
- guiness brand ale ( large)
- 1/2 c
- 1 stick
- 2 c
- 1 dash(es)
- 2 dash(es)
How to Make Beef & Guiness Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
Take out puff pastry about 30 minutes before starting so it can start to thaw.
Chop onions, baby carrots, and celery. Set aside.
- 2Melt two teaspoons butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add onions, baby carrots, celery. Cook a few minutes to soften. Add Guiness. Reduce heat and let simmer.
- 3Take pie pan and butter sidesand bottom very well.I use individual serving dishes but a large size can be used as well. Your preferrance.
Cut out the puff pastry so that the bottom of the pan and sides are covered with the dough. Set aside.
- 4Add mushrooms to the pan on the stove. Open cans of beef and gravy and put into the pan. Mix it up so that the chunks of beef are bite size and spread throughout. Add a dash of salt and 2 dashes of pepper to taste. Let simmer until vegies are soft stage and the guiness is reduced by half.
- 5Take the heated mixture off the stove. Spoon into ready pie tins. Be careful as it will be very hot. Cover the lids of the tins with remaining dough and pinch tightly closed. Note: There may be some left over dough. It all depends on how much crust you really want how much you use!
- 6Mix an egg in a bowl and brush over the tops of the pies before placing in the oven. This will give it a nice shine and make it look extra delicious.
- 7Cook pies for about 20 minutes, Checking periodically. You may need to turn them around half way so that all sides are cooked evenly. Once tops are puffed up, flaky and golden brown You can take them out.
- 8I usually serve these with a side of mashed potatoes as is customary. You can place the mashed potatoes inside as a layer too. I have done that but found that it made the pie VERY heated and took a long time to cool enough to eat. ( was amazing though)
- 9Warning: Use caution when taking your first bite. These will be extremely hot.