- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, well drained
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (2 oz)
- 1 egg, beaten
How to Make Beef empanadas
- 1Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in chili powder, salt and tomatoes. Remove from heat
- 2On ungreased large cookie sheet, unroll pie crusts. Spoon about 2 cups beef mixture onto half of each crust, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese.
- 3Brush edge of each crust with beaten egg. Fold untopped half of each crust over filling; press edge with fork to seal. Cut slits in several places in top of each; brush with beaten egg.
- 4Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.