Ruth Ann Vokac
- 3-4 lb
- round steak/roast, cut into bite-sized pieces (fat discarded)
- 1/4 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1-2 c
- burgundy wine (or other mixed red wine)
- 1/2 c
- tomato or v8 juice
- 1 can(s)
- campbell consommé (gelatin added)
- 1-2 lb
- fresh mushrooms, sliced (or 1 large can mushrooms, drained)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- dried basil leaves
How to Make Beef Burgundy
- 1Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag. Add meat pieces to coat.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add coated meat to the skillet and sauté until nicely browned. (If your skillet is not really large, do this in two batches.)
- 3Add browned meat and all other ingredients except mushrooms to a Dutch oven.
Braise in heated oven for 2 1/2 hours.
Check liquid levels periodically. If liquid is cooking out, add more: tomato juice, consummé, or wine.
Add mushrooms and braise for 30 more minutes.
- 4Serve over rice or noodles.
(I prefer to use brown Jasmine rice.)
Freezes well; holds in a warm oven well.