★★★★★ 1 vote5
3 lbstew beef, cubed
1 1/2 cbrandy
2 1/2 cred wine
1/2 lbpearl onions
1 Tbsptomato paste
2garlic cloves, minced
1 can(s)beef stock
How to Make Beef Bourguignon
- Marinate beef in 1/3 of brandy and red wine for at least 1 hour. Turn occasionally.
- In large heavy skillet heat half the butter until foamy.
- Mix together flour with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll beef cubes in flour, place in hot butter and brown, removing cubes as they are done.
- In separate skillet, heat remaining butter; add onions; stir, cover and simmer over low heat 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, turn up heat and saute 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add tomato paste, garlic and 1 tablespoon flour.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add remaining brandy, red wine, beef stock, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add beef and simmer on low temp for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove Bay leaf.