Beef Barley Soup
I have been cooking home-style meals for friends and family for years. As my girls grew up and have moved out this is one of the recipes that they tell me is comfort food and reminds them of home. Now all my girl's friends have and use my recipe too.
- 1-1 1/2 lb
- beef (can be left over), cut in small pieces
- 5-6 medium
- carrots, chopped
- stalks of cerery, chopped
- 3-5 medium
- onions, chopped
- 1 c
- barley, uncooked, rinced clean
- cloves of garlic or add garlic powder to sesoning
- 1/4-1/2 c
- soy sauce or worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c
- gravy master til its brown
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Beef Barley Soup
- 1Prepare all the beef and vegetables.
If beef is uncooked you may brown it in the bottom of the soup pot or pressure cooker you are going to cook your soup in, but this soup is good if you don't do this.
For Soup pot: Put all the meat and vegetables in a large soup pot. Add water till the level of water is 3 to 4 inches above the meat and vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or till carrots and barley are completely tender, stirring occasionally. Watch out for it sticking on and add water as needed. When the soup is done cooking SEASON to taste
- 2For Pressure Cooker: Put all the meat and vegetables in pressure cooker. Add water till pot is 3/4 full and water is a couple inches above the meat and vegetables. Put on the cover and following directions for your pressure cooker bring it to 10 lbs pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Remove it from the heat and let it cool by itself for about 15 minutes till no steam escapes if you tap the petcock and the petcock can be removed. Open the pressure cooker and SEASON the soup and add water to the consistency you like.