Beef and Zucchini Casserole
High in protein, low in carbohydrates, this has a great Italian flavor and goes together in a cinch. One serving has less than 200 calories and only 6.5 grams fat. A good way to use up all that zucchini that collects in the garden during the summer months. Good served with Risotto as a side dish.
2 tspolive oil, extra virgin
1/2 conion, finely chopped
1 lbzucchini, cut in 1/4-inch rounds
8 ozfresh mushrooms, chopped
1 lblaura's lean ground round
14 1/2 ozcan diced tomatoes with liquid
1/2 tsp(or more) garlic powder
1/2 tsp(or more) dried oregano
1/4 cgrated parmesan cheese
1/4 cfresh bread crumbs (1/2 slice bread)
1/4 tsp(or more) italian seasoning
How to Make Beef and Zucchini Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Saute onions over medium heat until tender and translucent. Add zucchini to skillet and mix well. Add mushrooms and continue to cook all until mushroom liquid has mostly evaporated, about 7 minutes. Turn mixture into a greased 2-quart oblong casserole dish.
- Add ground round to same skillet; stir and cook until all is crumbled and browned.
- Add the salt, garlic powder and oregano to the tomatoes in the can; stir to combine, then add tomatoes to beef in skillet. Heat through. Add meat mixture to zucchini in the casserole dish and mix carefully.
- Combine the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning and sprinkle over casserole. Bake for 35-40 minutes.