Bacon Cheeseburger Onion Cups by Maggie
We have cooked these on the grill and they are so darned delicious.
Sometime you don't have access to the grill but you can still make them .. just bake them off in the oven.
We love these and hope you will too.
1/4 lbextra lean ground beef
1/8 tspeach garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper
1 tsplight brown sugar
·just a dash of liquid smoke
1medium yellow onion
·***** see notes *****
How to Make Bacon Cheeseburger Onion Cups by Maggie
- Preheat oven to 425
- The onion ... get one that is about 2" to 3". If you get them any larger you will run into problems cooking the meat all the way through.
- Peel your onion and the slice it roughly in half so it is about 1-1/2" tall. Separate the rings so you have little cups and set aside.
- Take the extra onion and finely dice about a tablespoon of it and set aside.
- Place your meat into a small bowl and add the crushed crackers, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, brown sugar and the diced onion and mix it all together.
- At this point you need to add a little moisture so squeeze some BBQ sauce over all. Add the liquid smoke and then mix.
The amount of BBQ sauce you add is totally dependent upon your personal preference. I usually add only about a tablespoon to start and then a touch more if needed so the mixture isn't too dense and dry.
- Take a piece of bacon and cut it in half. Using a toothpick, secure the piece of bacon over the top of your onion. I like to cross both pieces over the top of ours.
- Remove the toothpicks before serving.
These are super delicious done on the grill.
These would be awesome appetizers made with smaller onions.
You can use any type of cheese in these that you like .. we prefer something with a little punch so we use the horseradish cheese.
Use your favorite BBQ sauce or try my no cook BBQ sauce here - No Cook BBQ Sauce by Maggie