Avery's Chicken Fried Steak
4 slicesteaks of your choice - if using round steak or skirt steak, just cut into the number and size of your choosing.
1 or 1-1/2 cflour
1/2 - 1 cmilk or cream
1 c(approximately) of lard, bacon grease, shortening
How to Make Avery's Chicken Fried Steak
- Put about 1 - 1-1/2 cups of flour into a pie pan. Season with salt, pepper, & garlic powder.
- In another pie pan crack 3 eggs and add the milk. Stir until combined.
- Season your steaks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. (Yes, you season both the steaks and the flour that you coat them with.
- Put your steaks on a large cutting board or other flat surface. (This step is going to get messy.) Sprinkle each steak with enough flour to cover lightly.
- Using a meat mallet, pound the flour into the steaks. (I use steaks that are about 1/2" - 3/4" inches thick and pound them to slightly less than 1/2" thick.)
- Preheat your skillet (I ONLY use cast iron. It really does make a difference in the final product.)
- Add enough grease to fully cover the steaks when cooking. Heat the grease (oil, shortening, etc.) to almost smoking. Maintain the heat level.
- Dredge each steak first in flour, then the egg/milk mixture, then the flour again. Put in hot grease and fry until the first side is golden brown. Turn and repeat. This should take 5 minutes or less. In a 12" skillet, I can cook 2 steaks at a time.
- After all steaks have been cooked, remove some of the grease from the skillet and leave about 1/2". Add flour to the hot grease (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup or enough to make a thick flour and grease paste).You may have to adjust the amount. (Like I said, I never measure. I cook by the way things look and taste. Last night, I tried to keep up with how much I used so I could post this.) Cook just until the flour taste will be gone. Do not brown (You are making cream or "white" gravy.) Stir in milk or cream, and keep stirring until it is smooth. Add enough water to thin to desired consistency. I use a whisk to remove any lumps and make my gravy smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over steaks and serve. I always serve mashed potatoes and biscuits with my CFS.