Apple Juice Roast1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 lbboneless beef chuck roast
2 mediumonions, sliced
1 capple juice
1/4 tspthyme leaves
1/3 tspbasil leaves
3 largesweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
2 Tbspunbleached all-purpose flour
·salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make Apple Juice Roast
- Cook onions in 1 tablespoon butter in dutch oven until tender-crisp; set aside.
- Brown roast in remaining butter or shortening in dutch oven over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- Pierce entire surface of meat with fork.
- Combine apple juice, ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard and basil; add to meat.
- Top meat with reserved cooked onions; cover and cook slowly 2 1/2 hours or until almost tender.
- Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice for bright color; add to meat.
- Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Place meat and potatoes on warm platter.
- Sprinkle potatoes with chopped parsley or garinish with apple rings and parsley, if desired.
- Serve gravy over sliced meat.
- NOTE: After apple juice mixture is added to browned meat, it may be marinated in the refrigerator until 3 to 4 hours before serving time; turn meat several times.
- If dutch oven is cast iron, transfer to a glass dish.
- GRAVY: Skim excess fat from cooking liquid; add water if needed to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Mix 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons unbleached flour; stir gradually into cooking liquid.
- Heat to boiling; cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Gravy may be served in large apple that has been scooped out, if desired.