2 lbbeef brisket, cubed
1 tspszechuan peppercorns
1 1/4 dash(es)oil
4 slicefresh ginger
2 Tbsprice wine or dry sherry
2/3 csoy sauce
1piece of dried orange peel, 2"x1"
2carrots, sliced diagonally
How to Make Anise Beef
- Use a cleaver to cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Place star anise and peppercorns on a 3-inch square of cheesecloth. Bring corners together and tie with kitchen twine.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat for 1 minute. Stir fry garlic and ginger until garlic is golden, 30 seconds.
- Add beef cubes. Stir fry until lightly browned about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cheesecloth bag, wine, soy sauce, sugar and dried orange peel; mix well. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Add 2/3 cup water.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 1 1/2 hours. Add carrot and continue cooking 45 minutes or until beef is very tender and carrot is cooked.
- Remove cheesecloth bag and discard. Serve stew hot over rice.