All Beef Texas Chili1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
1/3 ccorn oil
6 lbchuck or round steak, cut in cubes
1 cminced onion
1/3 cminced garlic
3 cbeef broth
3 cbeer, flat
1 1/2 cwater
1/4 cchili powder
3 can(s)tomatoes 2 pound cans, drained and chopped
1/3 ctomato paste
1 1/2 Tbspfresh oregano
3 Tbspcumin seed
·salt to taste
How to Make All Beef Texas Chili
- In a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat, warm 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Brown beef in batches, adding more oil as necessary and transferring meat with a slotted spoon to a large stockpot when well browned.
- Do not crowd skillet.
- Reduce heat to moderately low.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add to stockpot along with broth, beer, the water, chili powder, tomato, tomato paste and oregano.
- In a small skillet over low heat, toast cumin seed until fragrant; do not allow to burn.
- Grind in an electric minichopper or with a mortar and pestle.
- Add to stockpot.
- Over high heat bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add salt, cayenne and more chili powder to taste.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, partially covered, until beef is tender (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Check occasionally and add more broth if mixture seems dry.
- If chili is too thin when meat is tender, stir in up to 2 tablespoons corn meal.
- Cook an additional 5 minutes to thicken.
- Serve chili hot.