ALBONDIGAS (MEXICAN MEATBALL SOUP)
Albondigas is a traditional soup used in many homes. There are different varieties, depending from what state in Mexico the cook is from. I have tried different recipes, but when I tasted this one, I went bananas, cause it is the best one I have ever tasted, I love it and I know you will really like it, if you try it, serve it with some mexican rice on a side dish and some warm tortillas. Good luck and Enjoy!
1-11/2 lbground beef (low fat)
1 1/2 tspgarlic salt
1 1/2 Tbspwhite flour
2 Tbspwhite long grain rice
1/4 tspblack pepper-ground
1/2 Tbspmexican oregano (crush oregano between both hands)
2 Tbspfresh cilantro-including stems (save additional 2 sprigs)
3 sprig(s)fresh mint (yerba buena) dice leaves only. save 1 sprig
3/4 conions-finely diced
1/2 mediumfresh tomatoe, finely diced
1 can(s)small tomatoe sauce ( save 3/4 of can)
2 qtboiling water
2 mediumpotatoes, quartered
3carrots, cut 2 1/2 inch. long
How to Make ALBONDIGAS (MEXICAN MEATBALL SOUP)
- Place water to boil in a medium sized pan
- with the exception of the saved items.
Mix all of the above together (except water) in a medium bowl.
- Mix well. mixture will be sticky.
start forming meat balls, slightly smaller than a golf ball, between both your hands and drop Drop gently into boiling water. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF . DO NOT DROP MEAT BALL HIGH ENOUGH TO SPLASH WATER.
- After all meat is in the water, keep heat on high to bring back to boiling point, then lower heat to simmer and add: balance of tomato sauce, sprigs of cilantro and mint.
Add: garlic salt, salt, and black pepper to your taste.
- Simmer approx. 20 min.
test a meat ball by bring one out of pot and cut in 1/2 to test the rice.
Rice must be ALMOST SOFT, NOT SOFT. Place back in pot.
- Add carrots and potatoes.
When carrots and potatoes are done so is the rice.
- I am very picky about the Mexican food I eat. I cook all of mine and I prefer to cook from scratch, I guess I am old school lol. This recipe is one of the best I have ever tasted, I hope you will try it too, you might surprise yourself. It healthy and low fat. Enjoy!
- Note: The meat should end up being very soft, but the meatball should not be disintegrating.