ALBONDIGAS (MEXICAN MEATBALL SOUP)
Albondigas is a traditional soup used in many homes. There are different varieties, depending from what state in Mexico the cook is from. I have tried different recipes, but when I tasted this one, I went bananas, cause it is the best one I have ever tasted, I love it and I know you will really like it, if you try it, serve it with some mexican rice on a side dish and some warm tortillas. Good luck and Enjoy!
- 1-11/2 lb
- ground beef (low fat)
- 1 medium
- 1/2-3/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- garlic salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- white flour
- 2 Tbsp
- white long grain rice
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper-ground
- 1/2 Tbsp
- mexican oregano (crush oregano between both hands)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh cilantro-including stems (save additional 2 sprigs)
- 3 sprig(s)
- fresh mint (yerba buena) dice leaves only. save 1 sprig
- 3/4 c
- onions-finely diced
- 1/2 medium
- fresh tomatoe, finely diced
- 1 can(s)
- small tomatoe sauce ( save 3/4 of can)
- 2 qt
- boiling water
- 2 medium
- potatoes, quartered
- carrots, cut 2 1/2 inch. long
How to Make ALBONDIGAS (MEXICAN MEATBALL SOUP)
- 1Place water to boil in a medium sized pan
- 2with the exception of the saved items.
Mix all of the above together (except water) in a medium bowl.
- 3Mix well. mixture will be sticky.
start forming meat balls, slightly smaller than a golf ball, between both your hands and drop Drop gently into boiling water. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF . DO NOT DROP MEAT BALL HIGH ENOUGH TO SPLASH WATER.
- 4After all meat is in the water, keep heat on high to bring back to boiling point, then lower heat to simmer and add: balance of tomato sauce, sprigs of cilantro and mint.
Add: garlic salt, salt, and black pepper to your taste.
- 5Simmer approx. 20 min.
test a meat ball by bring one out of pot and cut in 1/2 to test the rice.
Rice must be ALMOST SOFT, NOT SOFT. Place back in pot.
- 6Add carrots and potatoes.
When carrots and potatoes are done so is the rice.
- 7I am very picky about the Mexican food I eat. I cook all of mine and I prefer to cook from scratch, I guess I am old school lol. This recipe is one of the best I have ever tasted, I hope you will try it too, you might surprise yourself. It healthy and low fat. Enjoy!
- 8Note: The meat should end up being very soft, but the meatball should not be disintegrating.