★★★★★ 1 vote5
1-1/2 csushi rice (also called nishiki or japanese)
5 Tbsprice vinegar
How to Make Sushi (Rice)
- Follow package directions on rice, but if there is none: Place 2 cups uncooked rice in a colander and rinse, agitating under running water for 5 minutes, until no more white starch runs down the drain. Allow to stand and drain for at least fifteen minutes.
- Place rice on stove with 2 cups cold water. Do not stir. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and gentle boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand covered for 15 minutes. Leave lid on.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the seasoning by mixing the vinegar, sugar, and salt, until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer rice to a plastic bowl. Pour the seasoning mix over and mix with a wooden spoon.
- For the rest, prepare the ingredients as appropriate. Lay out a bamboo mat, then the seaweed sheet. Wet hands with cold water, place a fine layer of rice on sheet, position other ingredients, then use bamboo mat to roll seaweed sheet into tight tube (like a cigar). Using a SHARP knife, cut into 6 segments.
- Mix some soy sauce and wasabi paste in individual serving container. Serve with pickled ginger.