Palak (Spinach) Paneer
Heather Parrish Maliakal
A creamy spinach and paneer (indian home made cheese) dish, often served at indian restaurants.
10 ozpackage chopped frozen spinach
1/3 lbfried paneer
2 mediumtomatoes pureed
1 tspginger chopped
1 tspcoriander powder
1/2 tspred chili powder
1/2 tspcumin seeds
2 Tbspwhole wheat flour
How to Make Palak (Spinach) Paneer
- If using frozen spinach, thaw and blend just enough to get a creamy texture, but without allowing it to become pasty.
- Blend tomatoes and ginger to make a puree.
- Mix coriander, turmeric and red chili with tomato puree and set aside.
- Mix whole wheat flour with cream and set aside.
- Heat oil to hot but not smoking.
- Add cumin and asafetida to oil, allow to crack.
- Add tomato puree and let cook until it reduces by half.
- Add spinach and cook, covered, over med-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add cream mixture and paneer, let this cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and enjoy with naan or rice.