★★★★★ 2 votes5
- rock cornish hens - 1 to 1 1/4 lbs each
- 1 pkg
- herb flavored wild rice side dish or any other you prefer
- 1/2 stick
- melted butter (more if needed)
- 1/3 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/3 c
- soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp
- ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp
- monosodium glutamate like accent - optional
How to Make Oriental Rock Cornish Hens
- 1Thaw hens if frozen. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash hens and pat dry. Discard any giblets.
- 2Prepare wild rice side dish according to package directions. Cool slightly and stuff birds with rice mixture; fasten openings with skewers and lace shut with string.
- 3Place hens breast side up on rack in open shallow roasting pan and brush with melted butter. Do not add water. Do not cover. Roast 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, brushing often with melted butter.
- 4While hens roast, stir together sugar & cornstarch in small sauce pan. Stir in soy sauce, ginger and MSG (if desired). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- 5Boil and stir 1 minute more, until sauce is thickened. cool slightly.
- 6Brush hens with soy mixture. Roast 20 minutes longer, brushing hens again with soy mixture until used up. Place on warm platter; pour sauce from pan over hens.