★★★★★ 2 votes5
4rock cornish hens - 1 to 1 1/4 lbs each
1 pkgherb flavored wild rice side dish or any other you prefer
1/2 stickmelted butter (more if needed)
1/3 csoy sauce
1/4 tspginger powder
1/8 tspmonosodium glutamate like accent - optional
How to Make Oriental Rock Cornish Hens
- Thaw hens if frozen. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash hens and pat dry. Discard any giblets.
- Prepare wild rice side dish according to package directions. Cool slightly and stuff birds with rice mixture; fasten openings with skewers and lace shut with string.
- Place hens breast side up on rack in open shallow roasting pan and brush with melted butter. Do not add water. Do not cover. Roast 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, brushing often with melted butter.
- While hens roast, stir together sugar & cornstarch in small sauce pan. Stir in soy sauce, ginger and MSG (if desired). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute more, until sauce is thickened. cool slightly.
- Brush hens with soy mixture. Roast 20 minutes longer, brushing hens again with soy mixture until used up. Place on warm platter; pour sauce from pan over hens.