Honey Walnut Shrimp
Connie "Kiyu" Guerrero
1 lb31/40 shrimp (peeled & deveined)
1/2 cwalnut halves
1/4 Tbspcondensed milk
1 tsplemon juice
1 largeegg white
1/2 ccorn starch (for coating shrimp)
1/4 cpineapple chunks, fresh (optional)
·canola oil (for frying)
FOR THE WALNUTS:
How to Make Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Peel and deveined the shrimp/prawn. Pat dry with paper towels, add the egg white, mix well with the shrimp and set aside.
- Rinse the walnut halves with water, drain and set aside.
- Heat up the water until it boils and add in the sugar.
- Keep stirring until it turns thick and golden color and then add the walnut.
- Boil for 2 minutes, then drain and place walnuts on a cookie sheet/parchment paper to dry. (Regular paper will not work as the walnut will stick to it).
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.
- Coat the shrimp with a thick layer of corn starch and then fry in the hot oil until golden brown. Remove the shrimps from the wok and drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, honey, condensed milk and lemon juice.
- Add shrimp and toss with the mayonnaise sauce.
- Transfer to a serving plate and garnish the candied walnuts on top of the shrimp and serve immediately. (if desired, you can also add the pineapple chunk for garnish)