They asked for it over and over again. It was always a welcome treat. The only questions left to answer we're when or pork or chicken? Hope you enjoy it as much as our family and friends do.
PS: The photos will be added as soon as possible. For some reason, I was not able to upload them to this recipe. I'll keep working on it, and post it as soon as I am able to.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- chicken parts-2 to 3 pieces per person minimum
- large yellow onion-sliced into half rings
- 4-6 clove
- garlic-peeled, crushed and roughly chopped (more if you like)
- 1 1/4 c
- cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 c
- white cane vinegar
- 3/4 c
- soy sauce
- 1/2 c
- worcestershire sauce
- large bay leaves
- cooking oil-enough to cost the bottom of the pan
- 1/4 c
- whole allspice
- 1/4 c
- whole peppercorns
- peppercorns and whole all spice may be tied into a sachet or place in a mesh spice ball to make removal before eating easier. be sure the sachet or spice ball is well emerssed during cooking to adequately season the dish.
- 1/2 to 1
- thumb ginger-peeled, sliced into matchsticks
- salt & pepper to taste
- dried lily flower
- substitute: pork butt-cut into equal sized cubes(recommend 1to 1.5 inch cubes)
- 1-2 c
- some folks like to cook the two meats separately, then add them to the same bowl to serve. others will use the one pot method mentioned below.
- if you want to mix pork & chicken in one dish, brown/sear the chicken first and set it aside. begin cooking the pork. when the pork is just over half-way cooked. it is time to add the chicken pieces and finish cooking them with the pork.
How to Make Grammie's Adobo
- 1Use a heavy pan with a lid. Put oil into pan. Heat and add meat. Brown all sides of the meat evenly. When browned, remove all pieces of the meat and reserve.
- 2Add onion, garlic and spices to the oil. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add browned meat. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, vinegars and ginger. Add half the water.
- 4Stir and saute at medium to medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, cover the pan leaving a small vent. Stir occassionally.
- 5Continue to saute,stirring occassionally until meat is tender and cooked.
- 6Serve over steamed rice.
- 7Add dried lily flower and stir into adobo mix. Continue cooking.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.