Dim Sum/Sesame Balls
*I FOUND THE INGREDIENTS AT OUR WHOLE FOODS STORE HOWEVER THEY SHOULD ALSO BE AVAILABLE IN ASIAN MARKETS
·2 cups sweet rice flour
·3/4 c water
·1/4 c crisco, softened
·2/3 cup wheat starch, (not wheat flour)
·1/4 c packed dark brown sugar
·2/3 c boiling water
·canned red bean paste
·1/2 c white sesame seeds
How to Make Dim Sum/Sesame Balls
- Put rice flour in a large mixing bowl, add water (not the boiling water) and mix by hand until it forms a soft dough.
- In seperate bowl mix together crisco and wheat starch with a fork like you would pie crust.
- Now in pan on stove add the brown sugar to the boiled water and mix to dissolve sugar. Then bring to a boil.
- Now you need to pour the hot sugar and water mixture quickly into the wheat starch and lard mixture while constantly stirring quickly until all is combined together.
- Now add this mixture to the rice flour mixture in the large mixing bowl and mix well by hand.
- Now turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until a nice ball is formed (you can also do this in a kitchen aid mixer)
- Now flatten the dough to a half inch thick strip and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for about an hour and a half to two hours
- Once dough is done in frig you will divide it in half and rewrap half and set aside. With the other half you will knead it briefly and then roll it into a worm of sorts, about 1 inch around
- Cut the dough into about 20 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Cover these and then do the same with the other half of the dough.
- Now make a shallow cup out of a dough ball and fill it with about 1/2 tsp of bean paste (drain paste if it seems too watery) Squeeze the cup closed and roll back into a ball. Repeat with each dough ball.
- Roll the balls in the white sesame seeds to coat evenly.
- Deep fry each sesame ball in a preheated deep fryer for about 4 minutes or until they float to the top. (about 6 balls at a time) Then place on paper towel lined plate to dry and remove excess oil.
Serve while still warm