CHINESE FRIED RICE
- fried rice:
- tablespoons canola oil
- tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- cup diced red bell pepper
- cup thinly sliced snap peas
- cup diced yellow bell pepper
- cup diced red onion
- cup thinly sliced green cabbage
- cup peeled, diced carrot
- cup diced celery
- tablespoon minced garlic
- cups short-grain white rice, cooked in chinese chicken stock and cooled
- eggs, beaten
- cup soy sauce
- cup oyster sauce
- tablespoon sesame oil
- cup chopped green onion
- tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- chinese chicken stock recipe:
- whole chicken, cut up
- bunch green onions, cut in half
- garlic cloves smashed
- inch piece of ginger, whacked open with the flat side of a knife.
- onion, cut in half
- teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- quarts cold water
How to Make CHINESE FRIED RICE
- 1THE DAY BEFORE:
Prepare the stock and then use it to cook the rice in it the day before you make this recipe.
- 2MAKING THE STOCK:
Put the cut up chicken and all of the ingredients for the stock in a large stock pan with 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil, then turn to simmer. Simmer for one hour uncovered. Skim any foam off. Pass the stock through a collander to remove the solids. (Save the chicken for soup later. It can be frozen.) Cool the stock to room temperature and store in the fridge.
- 3COOK THE SHORT-GRAIN RICE:
Use the stock and cook the rice according to package directions until tender. Refrigerate.
- 4MAKING THE FRIED RICE:
Prepare the vegetables, measure the indicated amounts, grate the ginger, red and yellow bell peppers, red onion, green cabbage, slice the peas, dice carrot and celery, and set aside.
Put a teaspoon of oil in a small skillet and scramble the beaten eggs. Transfer them to a cutting board and slice in strips. Set aside.
Heat oil in wok, electric skillet, or large non-stick skillet on high heat until oil almost begins to smoke. Add ginger, as well as all vegetables except garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked, then add garlic.
Before garlic browns, add rice and mix rapidly so rice does not stick to sides of wok or pan. Add cooked eggs to vegetables and toss. (I like mine a little light brown) Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. Mix thoroughly and then add pork, shrimp or chicken if desired.
Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- 5Cook's Tip: For a nice presentation, put the rice on an oval platter. Cut the Chinese Barbecued Pork Tenderloins at an angle in thin slices and "fan" the meat on top of the rice to serve.