Chinese-American Fried Rice
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
- 4 Tbsp
- peanut oil
- large eggs, beaten
- medium white onion, minced
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp
- minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 c
- cooked regular long-grain rice
- 2-1/2 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- dark sesame oil
- 1/4 c
- dry sherry
- scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make Chinese-American Fried Rice
- 1Heat 1 Tablespoon peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and stir to scramble for 1-2 minutes or until fluffy. Set aside.
- 2Add remaining 2 Tablespoons oil to a wok or skillet, and heat over medium heat until the oil is rippling, about 1 minute.
- 3Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry until the mixture is aromatic but not browned, about 1 second.
- 4Add the cooked rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sherry and stir-fry for 2 minutes, breaking up any lumps of grains and blend the mixture well. Stir in the scallions and stir-fry, tossing quickly but gently for 10 seconds.
- 5Add the previously scrambled eggs, mix all together and season with salt and pepper.