Chinese-American Fried Rice
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
4 Tbsppeanut oil
3large eggs, beaten
1medium white onion, minced
3 clovegarlic, minced
3 Tbspminced peeled fresh ginger
2 ccooked regular long-grain rice
2-1/2 Tbspsoy sauce
2 Tbspdark sesame oil
1/4 cdry sherry
4scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
·salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make Chinese-American Fried Rice
- Heat 1 Tablespoon peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and stir to scramble for 1-2 minutes or until fluffy. Set aside.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons oil to a wok or skillet, and heat over medium heat until the oil is rippling, about 1 minute.
- Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry until the mixture is aromatic but not browned, about 1 second.
- Add the cooked rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sherry and stir-fry for 2 minutes, breaking up any lumps of grains and blend the mixture well. Stir in the scallions and stir-fry, tossing quickly but gently for 10 seconds.
- Add the previously scrambled eggs, mix all together and season with salt and pepper.