Easy Creamed Spinach
Spinach is low in calories and is a good source of vitiman C and A, and also minerals, especially iron. Spinach is best eaten fresh. It loses nutritional properties with each passing day. Although refrigeration slows the deterioration, half of the major nutrients are lost by the eighth day after harvest.
- 2 packages (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach (see Note)
- 1 Tbs. instant minced onion
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt, (or to taste)
- 2 packages (3 oz. each) cream cheese, cut in pieces
- 1 Tbs. milk
- Fresh-ground pepper to taste
- Minced parsley (optional)
How to Make Easy Creamed Spinach
- 1Place spinach, onion and salt in large saucepan; cover and cook over low heat until tender, 10 to 12 minutes, breaking up with fork 3 or 4 times. Drain in colander, pressing out excess liquid. Return spinach to saucepan. Add cheese, milk and pepper. Cook over low heat until cheese melts and mixture is well blended, stirring constantly. Garnish with parsley. Makes 4 servings.NOTE Or use 2 pounds fresh spinach. Remove tough stems; rinse leaves well and cook with water clinging to them3 to 5 minutes. Drain, then chop fine.