Au Tai (Tongan Fruit Beverage)
1 largecoconut, freshly grated (you may use frozen, but not commercially bagged
1 largepineapple, cored, grated (if you need to, you can use canned with juice)
1 chalf and half
3 Tbspgranulated sugar
How to Make Au Tai (Tongan Fruit Beverage)
- Cut watermelon in half. Scoop out the melon from the shell, using a regular or soup spoon (pieces need to be bite sized or smaller.) Do not include seeds. Put melon meat and juice into a gallon pitcher.
- Cut open the coconut shell, remove meat and grate. Put coconut meat into the gallon pitcher.
- Core and remove outside of pineapple, and grate the pineapple meat; or add can of pineapple (crushed and juice). Pour into the pitcher.
- Add half and half and sugar. Stir well. Fill pitcher to the top with cold water. Stir well. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- During the off season, you can use 6-8 mangos and 6-8 apples in lieu of the watermelon. You still need the pineapple,coconut, etc.though.