Agua de Jamaica (Hibiscus Iced Tea)
- 2 qt
- filtered water, divided (8 cups total)
- 3/4-1 c
- 1 small
- cinnamon stick
- few slices of fresh ginger
- whole allspice berries, lightly crushed
- 1/2 c
- dried hibiscus flowers
- 5 sprig(s)
- fresh mint sprigs or 2-3 mint tea bags (yerba buena)
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla paste or vanilla extract (or a 1" piece of vanilla bean)
- orange or lime slice, for garnish
- mint sprigs, for garnish
- ice cubes
How to Make Agua de Jamaica (Hibiscus Iced Tea)
- 1Put *4 cups* of the water and the sugar in a medium saucepan. Add cinnamon stick, ginger slices and the allspice berries. Heat until boiling and the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the dried hibiscus flowers and the mint sprigs or mint tea bags.
- 2Cover and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain into a pitcher and discard the used hibiscus flowers, allspice berries, etc. Stir in the vanilla paste/extract/bean.
- 3Add remaining 4 cups of water (or if you want to chill the drink quickly, ice cubes and water) to the tea; chill.
Serve over ice cubes with a slice of orange or lime and fresh mint leaves.