Fresh Mint Cordial
I've canned for years and years and love it, but, this year I got inspired to try some new things by a couple of new books I bought. This recipe is easy and really tasty. It will keep several weeks in your fridge, but I'm canning mine so I have it as long as it doesn't run out.
How to Make Fresh Mint Cordial
- 1Put the rinsed, clean mint leaves in a large bowl, add the sugar and pound with end of a rolling pin or a pestle in order to bruise and crush the leaves and sugar to a paste
- 2Pour 1 cup of boiling water over mint paste. Stir, cover and leave to infuse for at least 2 hours or until the mixture is completely cold.
- 3Strain through a sieve into a saucepan, pressing and squeezing the mint to extract the maximum flavor. Place the pan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Add your food coloring now if desired, as well as mint extract.
- 4Pour immediately into a warm sterilized bottle using funnel. Seal, label and leave to cool, then store in the fridge. Shake before using.
- 5If canning, pour into canning jars, add lids and caps and process 20 min (for pints) at 10lb pressure.