Fast and Easy Horchata
Normally it's an overnight process to make this (soaking rice and all), but I didn't have that luxury when I decided to make this for a baby shower...so I substituted rice FLOUR for the soaked/ground rice. It works GREAT...and it eliminates those annoying little bits of crunchy rice floating around.
- 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
- approx 1 gal
- milk *
- cup rice flour **
- 1 Tbsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 Tbsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp
- may substitute vanilla flavored almond milk or rice milk for regular milk. if you do this...omit the vanilla.
- may use almond flour instead of rice flour (or can combine the two)
How to Make Fast and Easy Horchata
- 1In heavy pan, bring milk, salt and cinnamon just to boil over medium heat.
- 2HINT: Save the jug from your milk to store the finished Horchata in....it's convenient, and you'll know what the "expiration" date is.
- 3Remove from heat. Whisk in sweetened condensed milk, rice or almond flour and vanilla.
- 4Pour back into empty milk jug. Chill in refrigerator (for at least an hour or so before serving). Store in refrigerator. Will keep beyond the original expiration for the milk by a few days.
- 5The rice/almond flour will settle to bottom, so before serving...shake up jug to redistribute rice/almond flour (aren't you glad you saved the milk jug??). Pour over ice. Garnish with ground cinnamon or a cinnamon stick.