R.I. Coffee Cabinet
To Rhode Islanders, the blended mixture of coffee milk and coffee ice cream that most of us would call a “milkshake” (or in the rest of New England, a frappe) is called a coffee cabinet, owing, popular opinion has it, to the fact that the machines used to blend the drinks, and often the syrups used to flavor them, were kept in wooden cabinets.
How to Make R.I. Coffee Cabinet
- Place the milk and syrup in a blender and blend to mix thoroughly, about 10 seconds.
- Add the ice cream and pulse several times to begin breaking it up.
- With the blender motor off, use a flexible spatula to mash the mixture down onto the blender blade.
- Continue pulsing, stopping, and mashing until the mixture is well blended, thick, and moves easily in the blender jar, roughly 30 to 90 seconds.
- Pour into a chilled glass or glasses, and serve at once.