The King's Wassail
- 6 c
- fresh apple cider
- 1 tsp
- zest of a lemon
- 1 medium
- orange + its zest
- golden delicious or similarly soft and sweet apples
- 1 Tbsp
- whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp
- 3/4 tsp
- star anise pods (optional because people are kinda touchy about the flavor)
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp
- allspice, for an extra kick
- cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
How to Make The King's Wassail
- 1Zest an orange and a lemon. Add zest to a large pot with the apple cider. Peel the orange and add half the wedges to the cider. Turn heat to medium.
- 2Core the apples and quarter them. Stuff cloves into the soft part and add to the apple cider.
- 3Add the star anise if you'd like, and add the cinnamon and allspice and stir. Stir in the brown sugar.
- 4Bring to a high heat and bring to a light boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and cover.
Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot wassail into mugs and enjoy. Garnish with cinnamon sticks if desired.