Hot Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a great alternative to spending the big bucks for this delicious holiday treat! It's warm and yummy with a hint of peppermint flavor. In the Test Kitchen, we tried both water and milk. With milk, it's richer and creamier. But both are delicious on a cold day! The Test Kitchen
- 1 1/2
- envelopes of your favorite hot cocoa mix. (I use swiss miss)
- 1 tsp
- espresso powder, instant
- 10-12 oz
- boiling hot water
- 3 to 5
- drops peppermint extract (how minty do you like it?)
- whipped cream, marshmallows, peppermint candy (optional)
How to Make Hot Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
- 1Put the tea kettle on and start boiling your water. Open 2 packets of your favorite brand of hot cocoa mix and dump 1 1/2 envelopes (could use all of it if you wish) in a large mug. (I recommend a good brand like Swiss Miss. A good Dutch chocolate is richer! And I use 1 1/2 envelopes to make it taste richer and more full-flavored.) Then add espresso powder and mix up with a spoon.
- 2Pour boiling hot water into the mug and stir until all is dissolved. Add several drops of the peppermint extract and stir. Serve with any topping you like. For instance, whipped cream, a peppermint candy cane, shaved chocolate, marshmallows, etc. Enjoy!
- 3Variation: To make it a little richer and creamier, use milk instead of boiling water. Also, don't forget this can be made for diabetics! Buy a sugar-free hot cocoa mix. They are out there and are very good! You may just have to dispense with all the toppings...but just a bit of whipped cream won't hurt. ;-) Anyway, I found this to be MUCH less expensive than and much tastier than the McDonald's counterpart... I like Mickey D's, but why spend $4 on a hot chocolate-peppermint-mocha?