Blue Ribbon Recipe
I recently enjoyed this one warm on a cool night ... warmed me right up. Serving this delicious drink at my next party.
I could not find blades mace. But I did some research and discovered that 1/2 tsp of ground mace = 1 blade. So I made this using 1 tsp of ground mace. The Test Kitchen
1 1/2 choney
2/3 cde-chlorinated or bottled drinking water
2 inchpiece of vanilla bean split and scraped into pan
1/2 tspgrated nutmeg
·zest of one lemon
·zest of 1/2 orange
4whole cardamom pods
4whole allspice berries
750 mlvodka or aka a fifth
How to Make Fire Vodka
- Cut the vanilla bean piece lenghwise to split it open. Add water to a saucepan. Add the vanilla bean in to the water.
- Measure out the spices and add to the water. Then add in the honey and citrus zests. Add in the honey. Start cooking over medium high heat until it comes up to a simmer. Stir this well until honey is dissolved.Do not boil.
- When it starts to simmer, stir one last time, then cover, drop the heat down to low, and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the heat off, stir again, cover, and set the timer again for 20 minutes and allow the spices to steep. Stir in the vodka.
- To store, pour the Fire Vodka into empty, clean bottles. One batch of this yields enough to fill a whole 750ml bottle, with about a cup left over.
- You can drink it warm, as is. I have also found that letting it settle and age for a month gives fantastic results.
- Leave the bottle undisturbed to rest for several days to a few weeks. You will notice spice sediments will begin to settle to the bottom.
- Carefully transfer the clear top portion of the Fire Vodka into a fresh container for longer term storage. Pour carefully to keep the sediments undisturbed at the bottom. This transferred drink will be clear, colorful, and delicious both hot or cold!
- Notes: To de-chlorinate your water simply pour it up ina container and cover it and let kit sit 24 hours. Use a good quality vodka when giving as a gift but use only the highest quality for yourself. Be careful when making this around open flames, it is definitely flammable. Use a good quality honey and orange blossom honey would be wonderful.