Deliciously unusual Hot Cocoa
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 1/2 gal
- your favorite home-made or pre-made cocoa
- capful of your favorite extract, and 1/2 capful of any supporting extracts you are choosing to use:
- tried and true combinations:
- peppermint, almond, almond with coconut, almond, and coconut with caramel, raspberry, raspberry and vanilla, vanilla, cinnamon, orange, hazelnut
- experiment with any number or combinations....but think,..some just don't go together. i do not recommend lemon extract for instance.
How to Make Deliciously unusual Hot Cocoa
- 1Make up your pot of hot cocoa. Add the extracts of your choosing in the proportions described above. You can add more if you want to, but I think the subtle flavors are best, and more extract not only increases the amount of alcohol you get (cooking out is a myth-especially in the case of cocoa.)but it also tastes bitter and like you are trying to overpower the chocolate taste...and after all; we are making cocoa here.
- 2Almost any of these taste great with a dollop of whipped cream on top, some are good with a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon, crushed peppermint candy, or a mini candy cane stir stick!
- 3For gift giving... you can put your favorit cocoa dry mix in a cello gift bag, add a flavored non-dairy creamer, or powdered extract (available at specialty cooking stores), and get a rectanular piece of poster board, cut out a perfectly, measured rectangle. Score a line horizontally across the rectangle and fold in half with the scored side on the outside. Decorate the front and the back however you like (drawings, stickers, cut-outs from computer clip art, etc.) Insert the top of the bag in between the folded piece of cardboard, and staple at the middle and ends. Ta Da!
- 4Another gift idea, buy fabric remnants at your local fabric store or Walmart, sew up a bag with a bottom to it, and at the top a narrow hem. You can either put the cello bag into the fabric bag, leave the bag top coming out of the fabric bag, and tie it up with a ribbon, or use the same method described above. OR, you could also, put a festive print new shoe lace or remnant cord to put through the top hem, creating a draw string bag. Endless possibilities!