Aunt Essie’s Holiday Wassail
NOTE: Prep time does not include time to bake the apples.
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 2 cups baked apples, peeled
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon mace
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 allspice berries
- 3 - 5 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups cream sherry
- 1 cup brandy
How to Make Aunt Essie’s Holiday Wassail
- 1Pour apple cider and 2 cups baked, peeled, and cut up apples into large sauce pot; bring to boil, then reduce to low simmer.
- 2In another saucepan, boil for 5 minutes: water, brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cloves, allspice berries and cinnamon sticks.
- 3In another saucepan, heat cream sherry and brandy just until you see tiny bubbles beginning to form.
- 4Pour everything into the large pot with cider and apples. Set on back burner and keep hot – right below a simmer.
- 5Right before serving try to remove allspice berries, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Warn guests that there “might” be one or two left you couldn’t find, so don’t choke on them.
- 6This wassail can be made then left to cool if making ahead of time; then, just reheat and enjoy.
- 7Serve warm.
It's okay to reheat the next day if it's not all served on day one.