Aunt Essie’s Holiday Wassail
NOTE: Prep time does not include time to bake the apples.
·1 gallon apple cider
·2 cups baked apples, peeled
·¾ cup water
·1 cup brown sugar
·1 teaspoon nutmeg
·½ teaspoon ginger
·¼ teaspoon mace
·6 whole cloves
·6 allspice berries
·3 - 5 cinnamon sticks
·2 cups cream sherry
·1 cup brandy
How to Make Aunt Essie’s Holiday Wassail
- Pour apple cider and 2 cups baked, peeled, and cut up apples into large sauce pot; bring to boil, then reduce to low simmer.
- In another saucepan, boil for 5 minutes: water, brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cloves, allspice berries and cinnamon sticks.
- In another saucepan, heat cream sherry and brandy just until you see tiny bubbles beginning to form.
- Pour everything into the large pot with cider and apples. Set on back burner and keep hot – right below a simmer.
- Right before serving try to remove allspice berries, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Warn guests that there “might” be one or two left you couldn’t find, so don’t choke on them.
- This wassail can be made then left to cool if making ahead of time; then, just reheat and enjoy.
- Serve warm.
It's okay to reheat the next day if it's not all served on day one.