- 1/2 lb
- almonds, skins removed
- 4 c
- filtered water, divided
- 2 c
- 1 tsp
- almond extract
- cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon (one small cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste)
- few cloves
- rose petals, for garnish
- ice cubes
How to Make Soumatha/Soumada
- 1Blanch the almonds in a large pot of boiling water a few minutes. Set aside to cool slightly then remove the skins.
- 2Grind the almonds very finely using a food processor. Combine the ground almonds with the remaining 2 cups of water. Set a strainer over a bowl and strain the liquid. Repeat process several times if desired.
- 3SIMPLE SYRUP: To make simple syrup place (2) cups of water, sugar, cinnamon stick and few cloves (2-3) in a large pot. Bring to a boil and boil down to half the amount. Strain. Stir in the almond extract.
- 4Combine the strained almond liquid with the simple syrup. Stir in the rosewater.
- 5To make 1 serving: Place ice cubes in a tall glass. Pour almond milk/simple syrup mixture to the top. Garnish with a rose petal if desired.