Rich'n Thick Coconut Hot Chocolate
This is probably one of the most delicious hot chocolate recipes I've ever made. It's thick and loaded with chocolaty goodness. It just warms you right up and will satisfy any chocolate craving you may have. Makes you say, "ahhh...now that's comfort."
2 can(s)coconut milk, 13.5 oz cans (not coconut water. you can also use regular milk instead of coconut milk. i do recommend using whole milk so the mixture is thick and creamy)
3/4 cbrown sugar, firmly packed (some people like sweeter hot chocolate so feel free to use a full cup)
2 Tbspdutch processed cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 1/2 ozsemisweet chocolate, finely chopped (use 1 oz if you want a more mild chocolate taste. you can also use bittersweet chocolate if you prefer darker chocolate...either way it's delicious)
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
·peppermint candy canes to stir
·peppermint schnapps (add a shot for an adult treat)
How to Make Rich'n Thick Coconut Hot Chocolate
- Finely chop chocolate and set aside. I put both of my chocolates on a plate together so I can easily add them to the milk when I'm ready.
- In a medium sauce pan, add coconut milk, brown sugar and salt. Stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a simmer and the brown sugar is dissolved, at least 5 mins.
- Reduce heat to medium low and whisk cocoa powder and finely chopped chocolate into the milk mixture.
- Cook for at least 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until cocoa powder is thoroughly mixed in and chocolate is completely melted.
Mixture should be smooth and thick
- Whisk in vanilla, then divide between your mugs, top with whipped cream or marshmallows and enjoy!
- OPTIONAL - sprinkle with shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened, whichever you prefer)