- 14 oz
- unsweetened coconut milk (read *note below in step #6)
- 1/4 c
- honey, maple syrup, coconut nectar, cane sugar, raw sugar, agave, etc. (your choice)
- limes, washed well
- 2 T.-1/4 c
- granulated sugar (reduced from 1/2 cup)
- 3 Tbsp
- sweetened condensed coconut milk (or use regular sweetened condensed milk)
- 3 c
- filtered water
- 3/4 c
- crushed ice (approximately 3/4 cup because the original recipe does not specify)
- ice cubes
SWEETENED CONDENSED COCONUT MILK:
How to Make Brazilian Limeade
- 1SWEETENED CONDENSED COCONUT MILK: Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan; heat over medium-high heat until boiling, about 5 minutes.
- 2Watch this pot closely! Once the coconut milk starts to boil, it can bubble over quickly. Whisk regularly to prevent burning.
Reduce the heat, bringing the coconut milk to a simmer, then add the sweetener, whisking until it’s completely dissolved.
- 3Allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half.
*Note (from original recipe source): "I don’t recommend using low-fat or light coconut milk, since those versions are usually just coconut milk that’s diluted with water to lower the fat content. You’ll have to boil the coconut milk longer, and will have less condensed milk as a result– wasting your time and money. Use the full-fat stuff for best results!"
Remove from the heat then set aside to cool completely before using in recipes. The mixture will thicken up as it cools.
- 4LIMEADE: After washing the limes well, cut off the very ends and then slice into eight wedges.
- 5Place the limes in a blender with the sugar (start with 2 tablespoons sugar-you can always add more later), sweetened condensed coconut milk, filtered water and crushed ice.
- 6Blend well, pulsing 5 times (original recipe ); or as I did by blending for a full 1-2 minutes. To remove the lime rind pieces, strain through a fine mesh strainer and into a glass bowl. Serve immediately over ice cubes.
Taste the limeade and if desired make corrections-does it need more condensed (coconut) milk, more sugar?
Cover and refrigerate until later or serve immediately over ice cubes.