THE ULTIMATE MARGARITA
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a classic, smooth margarita. But watch out ... this is the kind of drink that will sneak up on you before you know it. Great for your next fiesta! The Test Kitchen
- note: the ingredients listed below all work together to create the ultimate margarita. don't make any substitutions and you will not be disapointed.
- shot of Bols brand triple sec (1 ounce)
- cup of Cointreau
- cup ofJose Cuervo brand of tequila
- about 2 cups of Mr. and Mrs. T's brand of sweet and sour mix
- lime sliced
- margarita salt for rims of glasses (not table salt)
- large margarita glasses chilled in freezer, nice and frosty.
How to Make THE ULTIMATE MARGARITA
- 1PREP WORK:
Plan ahead and it will go smoothly. Give your margarita glasses a quick rinse and set them in the freezer for an hour or so, and they will have a beautiful rim of frost on them when you take them out. (If you are making margaritas for 30 or 40 people, you can use small martini glasses, set them on a tray and put the tray in the freezer.) Slice the lime into wedges and cut the center of each with a sharp knife so it rests on the rim of the glass. Have your margarita salt poured into a saucer ready to use.
- 2MAKE THE MARGARITAS:
Add 1 shot of Bols Triple Sec, 1/3 cup Cointreau, 2/3 cup of Jose Cuervo tequila.
- 3Fill crushed ice up to under the top part of the handle of the blender. This will be a little over three to four cups of crushed ice. (My blender is an Oster.)
- 4Pour 2 cups of Mr. and Mrs. T's Sweet and Sour mix up to the top, be careful not to overflow when you start the blender. Blend fast. It will be nice and slushy.
- 5Take your frosty glasses and a piece of sliced lime and run it around the lip of the rim, and immediately roll the rim in the margarita salt. Pour the frozen margarita mixture into the glasses, and add a slice of lime to the rim. This makes 3 old-fashioned bowl-shaped margarita glasses or three of today's tapered glasses. Just before drinking, squeeze your lime slice into your drink, and drop it into your margarita, stir, and Enjoy!
- 6Trivia: Did you know that the old-fashioned bowl-shaped margarita glasses are hard to find anymore. So if you run across any at flea markets, they are good to collect. I have about 30 and they are beautiful.