★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 c
- 3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- orange zest/peel
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon zest, grated/peel
- 9 c
- 6 c
- pomegranate seeds(it doesn't hurt to add extra!)
How to Make Pomegranate Liqueur
- 1Have ripe pomegranate seeds already cleaned up with no pith on them. (This can be down in a large bowl of cold water; I'd put gloves on and an old apron. The seeds will sink. Just keep skimming off the pith and rind or it will make the mixture bitter or foul.) Drain off the seeds and measure amount. Zest or peel the citrus fruits.
- 2Stir water and sugar together until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 6-7 minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- 3Take of the heat and cool. Put whole pomegranate seeds in a stainless steel, glass, or any non-changing surfaced bowl. Add the cooled sugar solution, vodka, and cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Keep dark and stir once/week x 4-6 weeks.
- 4When fully matured the solution will be ruby red and extremely flavorful. Pour into sterilized glass containers or just funnel it back into empty hard liquor bottles, (if fresh). (Otherwise rinse a few times pouring boiling water in by funnel and emptying when bottle is cool enough to pick up by hand again.)
- 5Strain the matured liquid through cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Pour the lovely ruby liqueur into a labelled glass bottle. Shelf life is 1-2 years, but I guarantee it won't make a 6 month mark!