- 1 bottle
- (750 ml) everclear 190 proof
- 1 bottle
- (750 ml) vodka 100 proof
- 20 lemons (organic if you can find them)
- 4 c
- granulated sugar
- 4 c
How to Make Lemoncello
- 1Wash the lemons in hot water and clean with vegetable brush. Wash and scrub vigorously.
Rinse. Lemon peels are how you create the drink's flavor and color, so it is important that the lemons are clean. Every lemon sold in a store is coated in food wax. You need to remove this wax as much as possible before you peel the lemons.
Skin the lemons (retaining the skins for later) being sure not to peel any of the white part under the peel, otherwise known as the pith or your lemoncello will be bitter as a result. Its okay to use regular lemons but if you are so inclined, look for organic lemons as they are grown with less/no chemicals.
- 2Put the lemon peels in a large glass container with the vodka and everclear. Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for 40 days in a cool dark place. Swirl the lemon peel and alcohol mixture together daily in the jar. As the lemoncello sits, the alchohol starts to slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.
- 3After you get to the point where you're ready to finish the lemoncello, remove the bigger peels with a slotted spoon.
- 4Once you've removed the bigger peels, you need to strain the entire mixture through coffee filters to remove as many of the impurities as possible. You can do this by putting the filters into funnels and straining that way. Note: If you pre-wet the filters with water, they won't absorb as much of the liquor mixture, reducing waste.
- 5In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water; cook until thickened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.Let the syrup cool before adding it to the Lemoncello mixture. Add to the Lemoncello mixture and allow to rest for another 40 days.
- 6Keep your bottles of Lemoncello in the freezer until ready to serve.Enjoy! but only in moderation as this stuff will kick your butt!