How to Make Fruit Cordial
- 1For syrup, in small pan, mix sugar and water. Bring to boiling, stirring til sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Cool for 30 minutes.
- 2For orange cordial, score orange peels into four lengthwise sections; remove peels with your fingers. Reserve fruit for another use. Using a sharp knife, scrape off white portions from peels. Discard. Cut peels into strips. For pear cordial, score and thinly slice pears.
- 3Pour cooled syrup into a sterilized 2 quart glass jar. Add orange peel strips or pear slices. Pour vodka into jar; stir gently. Cover jar with a tight fitting lid. Allow to stand (steep) in a cool dry place for 3 weeks.
- 4LIne a colander or sieve with several layers of 100 percent cotton cheesecloth or coffee filters. Set colander over a large bowl. Strain fruit cordial through a sieve. Discard orange peel strips or pear slices.
- 5Transfer strained cordial to sterilized jars or bottles. Seal and label. Store at room temperature for p to 2 weeks. Makes about 5 cups.