Creamy Classic Eggnog (NO Raw Eggs!!)
Maggie May Schill
- 4 c
- 5 c
- whole milk
- 3 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- egg yolks (room temperature)
- 1 c
- confectioner's sugar
- cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 c
- spiced rum (or more if you like it kicking)
How to Make Creamy Classic Eggnog (NO Raw Eggs!!)
- 1In a large sauce pan over medium heat, bring milk and cream to simmer. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and be sure to stir occasionally to avoid scorching the milk.
- 2Add confectioner's sugar to the milk/cream mixture. Beat until sugar is dissolved. (Add more or less sugar depending on how sweet you like your nog.)
- 3In a large mixing bowl beat the 12 egg yolks together until frothy.
- 4Once milk/cream mixture is simmered, spoon out 1 tablespoon of the simmered milk/cream into the egg yolks, and beat the egg yolks vigorously. Repeat this process four times; spooning a tablespoon of hot milk/cream into the bowl with the egg yolks, then beating the egg yolks vigorously.
(This is tempering the egg yolks. For best results start with room temperature eggs.)
- 5Pour the rest of the hot liquid over the egg yolks and beat vigorously until the entire mixture is good and incorporated.
- 6Mix in vanilla and rum.
Beat vigorously to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- 7Cool off at room temperature, then bottle it until jugs and chill before serving. Be sure to shake the containers well to remix the spices back into the beverage before serving.